6.12.2007

I'm turning in to a New Englander

Yeah. This is bad.

I come driving into town on my way home from work like I always do, down Main Street to the corner where I turn left. There's usually something of a wait there because there's always traffic coming the other way - what passes for traffic here - but this morning I look down the line and I see after the next three or four cars pass there is an empty spot about half an hour long.

It's about time, I think, for a little piece of luck because Windows beat up on me something fierce this morning so I'm just sitting there grinning when the last car in the line before the huge, enormous, just about forever gap stops. Before the intersection. I look left, and there are people in the crosswalk so I couldn't turn right then even if I wanted to but there, with a mile-long gap in the traffic just behind him, the guy sits.

And I think, this has got to be some kind of trick.

There. See what I mean? I think this can't be true, there is something terrible about to happen and I just can't see it, if I turn left I will get hammered by the fist of God. Or a truck. Or something. This guy's setting me up.

I'm turning into a New Englander: it's got to be.

(I did turn, eventually, and nothing terrible happened. Go figure.)

No comments: