11.29.2006

I don't know if the city works but the mayor works just fine.

From Phil:

Here's a story that was posted on a board that I monitor. I met the author this morning after reading the post. He's a really nice guy who lives full time on his coach (which is WAY fancier than ours!). He pulls a Ford pickup with a Harley in the back:
If you've been to Camp Decatur [a coach park in Decatur, IN] recently you're gonna love this update on the tale of the rail road track.

Background. The rail crossing here is so broken it keeps us awake at night when cars on the highway crash across it. And woe the vehicle that crosses at the wrong point.

You may recall that I wrote a letter to the local newspaper. I don't know if it got published, but no matter.

And you also know that I'm a jerk curmudgeon with too much time on his hands. So today, in a foul mood after driving all the way to the Fort Wayne VA Hospital for my flu shot and being turned away because I'm not a registered patient there and might have a reaction to the shot which they'd not be able to call in my MD from California (NOT KIDDING), I decided to raise some hell at the Decatur City Hall re: the rail road track. Hell hath no fury as a old fart vet who can't get his rabies shots and I wuz feeling REE-LEY curmudgeonly.

I walk down an alley from the Court House where I started my quest and find at the BACK DOOR of City Hall. I walk down a narrow hallway, and suddenly I'm inside City Hall itself. There, at the very back, was the Mayor's office. Door's open and there he is, DA MAYOR, hard at work. (Wonder what would have happened if I'd gone in the FRONT door and met up with Brunhilda the Battle Axe?). I asked if he had time to listen to a complaint from a visitor to his town?

Turns out he's a great guy. 75 years old, he reminded me of a sandy haired, not-quite-as-tall Jimmy Stewart with his slow, deliberate speech. Not an ounce of fat on his frame and no gray hairs. Eighteen years as Mayor who later tells me "I'll probably be dumb enough to run again" he listened to my description of the problem with the track. While I'm talking he's slowly flipping through a folder full of papers. Rail road papers it turns out. Already on his desk.

As it happens, he's been trying to get the RR to fix it for a long time. But here's the part that amazed me. While we're talking he finally pulls out his thin (only 1/4" thick) phone list and makes four deliberate phone calls. He's been the Mayor for 18 years and only needs a 1/4" thick phone list?? I use a Palm Pilot just to keep track of all the hair saloons I've visited across America. A-mazing. Who's that artist who painted all those Saturday Night Post magazine covers? THis is perfect. Right out of Americana.

The Mayor left a message with the RR track honcho, another with the High Rafter Bat at the Indiana Departemnt of Trails and Road, and two others with people he knows, one of whom he's meeting with tomorrow on other matters. He told THAT guy to add this issue to the agenda. He did all this while I'm standing in his door.

He never rushed me or made me feel bad for accidently bypassing all the normal bureaucratic barriers by coming in the back way (mark that down folks as a way to avoid the red tape: USE THE BACK DOOR) and was a true gentleman.

While listening to him leave messages to these guys I suddenly realized what was different about his office. NO COMPUTER on his desk...or ANY where! Later, when I complimented him on his direct 'take-action' approach and mentioned the lack of a 'puter he replied "I just prefer to talk directly to people". What a fresh breath of air this man was!!! No pretense. No ego. Just a caring civil servant.

BUT IT GETS MO' BETTER. When I first poked my head in the door I didn't even give him my name (his name was Fred BTW -- a fine name indeed) and I only gave him my first name as I was leaving. He actually walked out with me as I exited the way I came in. He never DID know my last name. He shared with me how he had finally just gotten the money from the Feds promised long ago to replace the homes of 30 people flooded out in the 100 year flood of 2003. He was very happy to finally get homes for those people -- but he wasn't bragging.

About 30 minutes later here at Camp Decatur my cell phone rings and it's Fred the Mayor. He asked if I was one who just visited him and told me that he had already gone out to the track and had been in communication with one of the four people he'd called and they're working up a plan!!!! If the city will provide flag persons the work mite start in two weeks. THIRTY MINUTES AFTER I MET WITH THE MAN!!!!! CAN YOU BELIEVE IT???

I asked him how he got my number and he answered with a chuckle "I've got my ways. You're in Space 56, right?" I was and am so impressed with this man. I'm still shaking my head in awe as I share this with you.

He said, 'don't give me any credit yet. I haven't finished the job'.

So ladies and gentlemen, next time you're tempted to slam all politicians, try to keep this little story in mind. There ARE good and dedicated people working for us out there.

And one other thing occured to me: When's the last time you entered a government building without passing through a cavity check and a metal detector? I went in the back door with no alarms, no nuthin'. If I was a nut case (stop laughing -- I KNOW what you're thinking) and had a grudge (YES, I usually DO) I could have ended his reign mo- scosh. No computers, straight talk, immediate action, follow through... My gawd, I think I just died and went to heaven.

Somebody post here when the track's fixed please. I'm outta here tomorrow with any luck.

Fred (remember that name) 03 Tradition.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a really nice story! What's Phil doing in Indiana??

Ted Compton said...

Back to the mother ship for repairs.

Or at least that's his story.