10.19.2006

Sure, why not, who needs news anyway?

NEW YORK - NBC Universal said Thursday it would cut 700 jobs and streamline its news operations as part of an overhaul that is aimed at exploiting new forms of electronic distribution. NBC, a unit of General Electric Co., said it expects the revamp to save $750 million in operating expenses by 2008. The job cuts would represent about 5 percent of its work force.

And wait - there's more.
NBC Universal will stop scheduling high-priced dramas and comedies during the 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. slot, The Wall Street Journal reported in advance of the announcement Thursday.

Jeff Zucker, chief executive of NBC Universal's television group, said he'll focus on cheaper programming.

I don't have a TV so it really doesn't matter how cheap they get, as far as I'm concerned. But if I'd just dropped two or three grand on one of those beautiful monster-screen babies I saw last time I went to Circuit City I'm not sure "cheaper programming" is exactly what I'd want to hear. I mean, cheaper news is pretty much what we've already got. But cheaper programming, that's a different thing.

Isn't it?

2 comments:

...e... said...

no, that's not the way it works. if you had onea those spensive tvs, you'd also have cable. eventually, if not sooner, anybody who doesn't have cable won't have much but gerry springer who, you might imagine, is pretty damn cheap. and now they've even got him dancing, he must work for scale.

Ted Compton said...

He dances? I'm missing everything.