10.16.2006

OK, and what if it didn't?

If voting technology allowed, voting machines would be required to prevent a voter from voting more than the number of times permitted for any one office.

Didn't allow, I mean. I'm wondering.

There are three initiatives on the MA ballot this year. One would allow grocery stores to sell wine - that's sort of a no-brainer, huh? - one is this one, and the third I haven't read yet. This one allows more than one party to nominate the same candidate, and then all the votes for however many nominations to be added together. If you see what I mean. I am reliably informed by MoveOn that all the libsymps are in favor of this, because in their fevered imagination a D gets also nominated by, say, the Greens and the HuggieBuggies, gets listed on the ballot three times in consequence, collects up all those votes, and wins. And no R would ever get nominated by anybody else but the Rs. I guess. Something like that.

But I'm not sure. It all sounds a little iffy. I'll have to think.

I do like this part, though:
The proposed law states that if any of its parts were declared invalid, the other parts would stay in effect.

Sort of like, if you drive a stake through its heart it just keeps on going anyway. That's kind of cool.

No comments: