10.08.2006

Good news! Not necessarily!

The triggering of an alert wouldn't necessarily precipitate a retaliatory hail of Russian nuclear missiles, Postol said. Nevertheless, he said, "there can be no doubt that such an alert will greatly increase the chances of a nuclear accident involving strategic nuclear forces."
And what, you may ask, might trigger that alert? Well, those wacky guys at the Pentagon are playing with bombs again, trying (according to the story here) to modify submarine-launched missiles, change them from nukes into "conventional weapons" for use on "North Korea and Iran." Woohoo!

Only problem is, the Russians have no way of knowing whether a missile from one of those submarines is a "conventional weapon" for "North Korea" or "Iran," or a "nuke" for "them." So you see the problem here? Good! Maybe you should be in the Pentagon.

Of course it's not such a big problem for me, myself, since I learned how to hide under my desk in school. I don't know if I'd fit under one of those little desks any more but I'd sure be willing to try. You, you're on your own.

No comments: