7.23.2006

Oh no! The end is near!

Slashdot | The Future of Computing:
“The role of CPU performance is definitely waning, and if a radical new technology fails to materialize quickly we will be compelled to write more efficient code for power consumption costs and reasons,” Fomitchev writes.
Back in the day - this would be the late '70s, early '80s - before the IBM PC, with it's whopping 640K of RAM came on the scene, 64K was considered a pretty big deal. I had a Radio Shack Model 100 laptop I upgraded to 64K, and I had a perfectly capable little spreadsheet program that ran on it just fine. Granted, it was no Excel. But just opening a blank Excel workbook on my Mac requires 34,000K (34M), and I can assure you it's not that much better.

I could do without the little paperclip.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: