7.02.2006

Awesome!

So I've had a couple of days to fool around with my new iPod Shuffle and it's amazingly cool. True, there are a couple of things it won't do - can't rewind a cut, and can't look on a screen to see the name of what's playing. And, of course, can't watch movies, if that's your thing (it's not mine). But it's a snap to sync, easy to tuck into a pocket (it really is smaller than a pack of gum) or wear around your neck on a string, and as a test I loaded mine (the smallest size - 512M) with two novels, two copies of the New York Times audio digest, and two dozen music tracks. With a little less entertainment, some space can be saved to use as a "thumb drive." And I found a nifty gizmo that runs the whole thing on two AAA batteries, so no more running out of power in the middle of Iowa.

Meanwhile, my old "real" iPod - somewhere between three and four years old (and yes, the battery does still work fine) - has unaccountably quit playing music but still seems to function perfectly well as a hard drive. So I spent the morning installing OS X on it. Yes, I am easily amused. But now I can boot either computer from the iPod to run diagnostics, do disk repairs, and various other geeky things, as well as back up key laptop files if necessary.


How outstanding is that?

technorati tags:

Blogged with Flock

No comments: