4.24.2012

Who is Lady Booby? (Hint: Google carefully)

Joseph Andrews - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The novel begins with the affable, intrusive narrator outlining the nature of our hero.…At the age of ten years he found himself tending to animals as an apprentice to Sir Thomas Booby. It was in proving his worth as a horseman that he first caught the eye of Sir Thomas’s wife, Lady Booby, who employed him (now seventeen) as her footman.

Seriously. A character in Henry Fielding's 1742 novel, Joseph Andrews.

I was digging around in an ancient file folder yesterday looking for something I did not find but what I did find was a copy of some kind of monster final English exam I took in college, six hours of mostly essay questions, most of which I do not understand—the questions, I mean, I don't understand the questions, so the answers, well, just imagine. 

OK, maybe I could fake an answer to one or two of them. Questions. And I can sort of understand a couple more. Like, for example, this:

Discuss a few of the following characters as deliniations of evil: the Pardoner, Iago, Lady Booby, Jason Compson, Robert Cohn.

Sure, everybody knows Iago, right? The Pardoner is a character from Chaucer (Canterbury Tales), Jason Compson is Faulkner (The Sound and the Fury?), and Cohn is from Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises. But the Booby woman, I had to look up. And according to my notes I actually wrote about the evil Ms. Booby on the test. (According to my notes I wrote about all of them except Compson, I have no idea why not him, although possibly it has something to do with the question mark, above.)

Screw it. I'm going to throw this test away.

No comments: