3.27.2012

Photo puzzle

As a guy who once owned the kind of field camera you have to mount on a tripod and put your head under a black cloth to use (a 4x5 Super Graphic) I can appreciate the insane weirdness of building a camera into an iPad. I'm not talking about the front-facing camera (or is it rear-facing?), the one you use for video chats and the like, but the other one, the one you would actually take a picture with if you wanted to, say, bring your iPad to shoot the 4th of July parade. They say it's pretty good. I'm thinking, why?

True, there are other things I don't understand about the state of photography today, too. Like, why is it, now that people have the technical means to take a virtually perfect picture virtually every time, has there suddenly developed a craze for pictures that look like they were taken in 1960 and have been sitting in the sun ever since.  We used to go to great lengths to avoid that (archival papers, UV-blocking glass, Cibachrome), but now there are all sorts of apps to do it, and do it instantly. I can understand how that might be fun once or twice (I've done it myself once or twice), but Instagram? Really?  

Oh well. Maybe I should see if I still have that dark cloth around somewhere. And would an iPadTriPod be the product of the year or what?

No comments: