10.16.2010

Late to the party

OK. I popped 20 bucks for the first season of Mad Men. I did it and I'm not changing my mind.

Turns out, it's a serious trip down Memory Lane. The first Mad Men season occurs in 1960, which is the year I arrived in New York as an advertising copywriter. I didn't work for an agency, I worked for a client - a major manufacturer with a "they couldn't possibly understand us" complex. And I didn't work on Madison Avenue, I worked on lower Broadway - right across the street from the block that would one day house the World Trade Center. But I spent a lot of time at our agency, on Madison Avenue - enough to say the program's depiction of the agency itself - the office - is 99.8% true. 99.9%, maybe, in fact - but that "new girl" from Brooklyn looks a lot more like Queens to me (my secretary was from Brooklyn and she was a lot cuter and had big eye makeup, which was all the rage among young women then) and I couldn't begin to comment on life in Scarsdale or whatever that bit of exurbia that is that our protagonist, Don Draper, occasionally goes home to. I lived on the Lower East Side. 

Still, I knew a lot of those people at Sterling Cooper and like I said, watching the show is a trip. 

I haven't watched the episode about the Nixon-Kennedy election night yet, so don't tell me how it turns out.

No comments: