3.31.2009

When your world changes...and you don't

I once worked with Dave Hunke, the driving force behind Detroit's bold remake of the way newspapers operate. And I really liked him. He was intelligent, energetic, engaging -- just the kind of guy you would pick for your team. But if I were an editor in Detroit when this idea surfaced, I would have fought it with every bit of energy and passion I could muster


Maybe this is the dying gasp of a dinosaur. Or maybe Dave's onto something and this will be the salvation of the News and Free Press. No matter what, it's just as well that I'm spending my days being a grandpa and building houses for Habitat for Humanity and no longer making newspapers.



On Monday, all eyes in the journalism world shift to Detroit, where the Free Press and The News will cut home delivery to just Thursdays, Fridays and Sundays. Free Press publisher Dave Hunke, who also heads the JOA with The News, says he'll measure success three ways:



--Replacing steep losses with positive cash flow



--Converting customer disruption to customer satisfaction



--Discovering a digital platform that that attracts the paid loyalty of a mass market



"If we do all of that stuff," Hunke said in a telephone interview Wednesday, "then I am going to be a very happy person."

[From Poynter Online - NewsPay]
-Paul Knue

No comments: