1.18.2009

Audiophreaks crack me up

I'm just reading a heated discussion here about audio files and the quality thereof, yelping about sampling rates and lossy compression and all the rest of it, and it's given me a serious case of the giggles.


I used to work in the movie business - documentary films, in a long-ago nother lifetime - and we'd sit around in soundproofed rooms listening to soundtracks on 16mm mag tape played through megathousand buck systems with reference quality speakers, volume cranked so high you could hear a fingerprint - and then, once we were pleased with them, print them to optical tracks on 16mm film stock - you know, those almost invisibly skinny bands that run down the side of the film across from the perforations. And then make copies. And then ship the copies to guys who would play them in high school gyms or church basements on rented projectors with 3" speakers, at best. Dude. Get real. That's the way it works here on Earth.


I play music on my iPhone over standard Apple-supplied earbuds or, if I'm in a really serious mood, over the built-in speakers in my computer. Granted, I am easily amused. But even if you've got a high-end home sound system, if you're not sitting still in exactly the right place and, oh yeah, you've neglected to past anechoic tiles all over your walls and ceiling trust me, a little lossy compression is not going to bother you overly much.


So just relax and enjoy the music, OK?



No comments: