10.30.2008

Let's not get overwrought, NPR guy

Driving to work today I heard the local (localest) NPR announcer introduce some composer or other as being "more quintessentially French" that Debussy. I don't know - not to stick my neck out on Claude, I think the phrase "more quintessential" is on pretty shaky ground. Might want to look that one up.


Anyway. After two or three bad ones we've finally had ourself a truly glorious autumn. The colors were spectacular, and even now the road to Northampton is awash in them, albeit in a sort of threadbare way. The brilliant reds and yellows have gone rusty and the trees are beginning to look a little tattered. Still, it's going to be another week or two before the gloom sets in.


So the good news is AT&T has finally (officially) announced free Wi-Fi at its hotspots for iPhone users. The bad news is - well, I stopped on my way to work to invest in a cup of coffee and try this thing out and and it didn't really work 100% well. Thing is, you identify yourself and then they txt you a token good for 24 hours at that location (their web site says), but by the time the txt arrived my coffee was gone and I was outta there. The message noted "can be renewed once every 24 hours," which adds a bit of ambiguity to the whole affair, seems to me. I'll be back in the area tomorrow before the 24 hours expires so I'll see if it works then. In the meantime the lesson is, request a connection right away, don't delay.



No comments: