10.27.2008

Just wondering

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=42.343201,-72.630096&q=42.343201,-72.630096

(So I can see where I am when I'm not)


(iPhoned in)


(Ah. So in the river there. A little off. The position was determined by an old 1st gen iPhone - the old one did not have real GPS but a sort of pseudo-GPS obtained by triangulating on cell towers and known WiFi hot spots. I was not near a hot spot when I did this and there are not enough towers in this part of the state to get an accurate fix. On the iPhone display the position is shown surrounded by a circle - in this case maybe two miles across - to indicate the precision, and my actual location was comfortably within the circle. And anyway I already knew where I was. Given that, and given the proximity of the fix, driving instructions from the pin to somewhere else would have been easy enough to follow. All in all, not great but not too bad.)



No comments: