8.18.2008

It's like living in a hall of mirrors, is what it is


For Condoleezza Rice, the secretary of state and an expert on international relations with the Russians, it's a remarkable statement - the one she made today - that, as a result of the conflict with Georgia, Russia's reputation is "in tatters.''...



On the question of the G-8, which includes Russia: "I would just note that I have been meeting by phone, telephonically, with my G-7 foreign minister colleagues because Russia is a party to the conflict, and this has been a useful forum for doing that. But we're not going to do anything hasty. I think Russia is already paying a significant price."

[From Condi Rice: Russian reputation in 'tatters': The Swamp]

I don't know, it seems to me Russia's reputation is still pretty much like it always was, at least as far as I remember it, but then I'm not an expert on Russia, nor telephonic.


Still, I suppose I should defer to Rice here, because on the list of people who know all about tattered reputations she ought to be right up near the top.



No comments: