5.06.2008

Forever and a penny, they say

So I'm about to paste a stamp on when I remember the postage rate is due to go up and I wonder when, oh when, and am I too late, so I click on over to usps.com to see and the date is May 12, write that down, when stamps go up a penny, which will leave me with a sheet of 20 41¢ rat stamps, or exactly 50% of my entire lifetime inventory of 41's, so I'm thinking I will need some 1's and then, right there on usps.com, I notice Forever Stamps. Still 41. Oh yeah.


So I decide to pop for the featured package - five sheets, 20 each, 41 Buckeroos. I'm hoping forever is a long time off. And then I add a sheet of 1's for the rats and proceed to check out, whereupon on the very last page, just as I am fixing to click the Final Button, I notice they have added on $1.10 for "handling." Dude. That makes the 41's 42's, doesn't it? And all the ones are two. Oh no.


So - I'm going to the grocery store anyway - I hop in the car and find out the Post Office is still open, and buy my stamps there and save maybe 40¢on the deal, counting gas. Although - let's not mention this part in public, OK? - if I figure the full mileage allowance - you know, that allows for oil and insurance and wear-and-tear and all that stuff, I lose.


But I don't care. It seems more right. And anyway, I now have stamps unto infinity, or at least for quite a while.



3 comments:

SPIIDERWEB™ said...

A couple things come to mind.

1. It seems the post office was on your route to buy groceries. So the auto expenses are a wash.

2.Who decided to complicate postal workers' jobs by making it necessary to check the stamp to see if it's a "forever" 41¢ stamp or not? Hunt that person down and beat 'em like a dog.

No, I don't beat dogs or anything else in fact.

Ted Compton said...

Damn. If they'd just thrown in a pound of hamburger I would have done the deal.

Maybe that's what they have in mind, selling groceries. Or something. I'm no expert on postal rates but, reading, their web site it sure looks like they've raised the first-class (letter) rate and lowered the rate on every conceivable type of junk mail. So they're definitely in a commercial mood.

As to how they tell the difference, I was wondering about that too. Maybe their optical scanners can recognize them. Who knows.

Meanwhile, there is no price printed on "forever stamps" so they should give them away for free is what I think. Myself.

BTW, welcome back.

Anonymous said...

I have leftover ducky stamps so thanks for the heads up.

Also, I notice the rate change goes into effect the day after Mother's Day. Good thinking.