11.08.2007

Oh, fine

Motorists driving through Big Dig tunnels will, at long last, be able to chat on their cellphones uninterrupted.

A frustrating dead zone for Boston cellular users since they opened four years ago, the tunnels will be fitted with wireless antennas within months, following approval last week by federal highway officials. The Federal Highway Administration said it is satisfied that attaching cables to tunnel walls that are held in place with epoxy anchors will not pose any danger.

(Boston Globe)

Never mind the epoxy anchors - cellphones in the tunnels? Right, just what we need.

OK, I admit, I've been living in the outlands for so long now that when I see three cars in a row it looks like traffic. Far cry from the Chicago expressways. Or even Boston, which is not an easy city to drive in. So maybe it's not so bad as I imagine, guys whizzing through the tunnels, no way out, and talking on their phones. I get spooked when I see a phone-driver from two blocks away.

Still - cellphones in the tunnels. It sounds like a really dumb idea to me.

No comments: