11.27.2007

Go Apple, oh yeah

So I've had this old iMac in the back room all summer, out of action with a bad CD drive. (Well, not completely out of action but out of CD action, which is a semi-bad thing.) I'd been meaning to take it in for repairs - it's still got a couple of months to go on its extended warrantee (Applecare) - but dreading the trip to the nearest repair place which is 20 miles away in a busy part of a nearby town, with no convenient parking at hand. And it's a heavy box to haul.

So then one day last week I think. Once in a while that happens. And what I think is, hey, Apple has a DIY program now. So I log on to the web site and sure enough, this part's covered, and I order one. That was Friday. The part arrives on Monday. (I think it was shipped overnight but it was a two-day weekend night.) Inside the box is the new part, a special tool, and an instruction book with a photo for every step.

This afternoon I do the deed. Since everything inside a flat-panel iMac is modular to begin with it's simple. Undo three case screws and four screws inside, pop the old part out and the new one in, put all the screws back in place, boot. Twenty minutes start to finish, tops.

The old part's in the box. All I have to do now is tape the box shut, yank off the mailing label to reveal the return label, and call DHL. Thanks to the Applecare, the whole thing's free.

Maybe I'm just easy to impress but that seems pretty awesome to me.

No comments: