7.25.2007

When I have time I don't have time

Bah. On days when I don't have class I get a slow start in the morning, just sit around browsing newspapers and wondering what I'm gonna do with all that time and by the time I get my act together the sun's too high for good picture taking, so I get involved with a project and then along about mid-afternoon when the sun gets into a better place I'm busy.

So maybe I'll fool around for a while teaching my computer new things to say. Speech recognition has been a sometime thing for me, more novelty than anything useful. It's been in Macs for as long as I can remember, ten or twelve years at least, but finally the processors are fast enough and, thanks to iChat video, the microphones good enough to make it really work. So once in a while I turn it on, just for the company (a very sultry voice, has my computer). It has a fairly long list of commands it recognizes but the emphasis is on practical, so it needs to be lightened up a little. Now, when I say “thank you” to it it says, “sure, Dude,” and when I say “nice try” it says “buzz off.”

That's progress, eh?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just don't teach it dirty words.

Ted Compton said...

Moi?

Anonymous said...

Of course you remember the Compuserve days.... Monochrome monitors, no mouse.... I when I didn't know the correct syntax for a command and would type in something inappropriate in frustration... Let's just say Compuserve recognized those words and I would be cautioned to watch my language. (Yeah, teach her "watch your language." That'd be good....) Remember?

Ted Compton said...

Yeah but what would she say back if I said "watch your language? I don't want to think.

Oh wait. Maybe you meant... :-)