4.23.2007

Friedman declares Iraq a four-very situation

BLITZER: So when Harry Reid says the war is lost, you are not
there yet. You haven't come to that conclusion yet.

FRIEDMAN: I mean, I certainly think that we're on our very,
very, very, very last legs. You know, we certainly haven't won,
that's for sure.
I think five veries is the max. Or maybe six or so. But no matter how you cut it, four is a lot. Four is definitely more than two, or even three. In other words it's quite a few.

Although, just to quibble a bit and for the record, I think all this talk about winning wars is bull. It's not a war we're losing in Iraq, it's an occupation. We won the war years ago. If the DOOFUS had been paying even the slightest attention to what he was saying on that aircraft carrier he might have got it right. The war was won in just a few weeks.

Occupations nearly always fail in the end. In fact I can't think of any right offhand that were ever “won.” But occupations don't get much political traction, I guess, so war it is. Whatever works.

Link: Crooks and Liars » Friedman for War Czar: …we’re on our very, very, very, very last legs…

No comments: