5.27.2007

Memorial

A West Point graduate and veteran of the Vietnam war, Andrew Bacevich, who opposed our actions in Iraq and then lost a son who volunteered to fight there, writes in the Washington Post:

“Memorial Day orators will say that a G.I.'s life is priceless. Don't believe it. I know what value the U.S. government assigns to a soldier's life: I've been handed the check. It's roughly what the Yankees will pay Roger Clemens per inning once he starts pitching next month.”
Link: Connecting.the.Dots: Memorial Day Mockery

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please don't condemn ALL wars. If it weren't for the brave soldiers who died for you in Europe and the Pacific you would now be speaking and writing either German or Japanese.

Ted Compton said...

I don't condemn all wars, and I'm a vet myself. And, by the way, I speak a little German now and then.