9.25.2023

It's not grammar, it's logic

The Supreme Court will hear a case with a lot of ‘buts’ & ‘ifs’ over the meaning of ‘and’

Federal courts across the country disagree about whether the word, as it is used in a bipartisan 2018 criminal justice overhaul, indeed means “and” or whether it means “or.” Even an appellate panel that upheld a longer sentence called the structure of the provision “perplexing.”

 It's also why we probably don't want Congress writing laws about computers just yet. (Or maybe about anything, come to think about it.)

Everybody who's ever written a database query for a mail merge should know this:

If I say I want to mail a letter to all the people who live in Easthampton and Westhampton what I mean is or, because nobody lives in both towns, which would be and. But I would get away with saying and because you would know what I mean.

Unless you're a lawyer. Or, it would seem, a Congresscritter. We will see what the learned Supremes have to say.

No comments: