7.01.2023

And good for them, I say

Lots of tiny AI tweaks are quietly taking over the iPhone.

The new autocorrect, which will be available in an iOS upgrade later this year, is sort of like a less powerful ChatGPT in your pocket. Apple says the software will be better at fine-tuning itself to how we type, as well at predicting what words and phrases we will use next.

I'm a keyboard guy, and have been since, well, longer than you. Not longer than you've been a keyboard guy, but longer than you. That would be my guess.

So when I use an iPhone I dictate. I don't try to type with my thumbs. I use Apple's dictation software a lot, and I've been seeing it get better, slowly, over time. 

It's not perfect. This morning it corrected Oppenheimer to Open Heimcr, so there's that. But it can figure out the difference between "to" and "too" in a sentence, most times, and if I give it a moment to think it can autocorrect some other misheard or misunderstood words and phrases correctly, now and tben.

The news that this function my be getting better is good. Very good. And suggests AI might actually become useful over time.

No comments: