9.15.2014

Progress: Who needs it, anyway?

My grocery store, the one I’ve been trudging to faithfully all these years, used to have a perfectly sensible payment machine: Swipe your card, tap in your PIN, answer yes or no to the cash back question, and that was that. The checkout person handed you a receipt.

(We are a small, conservative, New England town, we don’t have your fancy big-city self-serve checkout lanes. That tap-to-pay technology Google and Apple are pushing? Around here, maybe a couple of fast-food franchises and one of the national drugstore chains are with that plan, but a person cannot live on French Fries and toothpaste alone. I’m thinking maybe in a few more years, after all my contracts and non-replaceable batteries have expired, then might be time for Apple Pay, but for now I’m just happy to not be on dialup any more.)

This morning I went to the grocery store and they’ve changed their checkout software. The new software adds that one more last question: “Is this [TOTAL] OK?” And two answer buttons: YES and NO. It’s the question that drives me nuts.

Why do they ask that question? What happens if you tap NO? Do they offer to negotiate?

I think not.

No comments: