7.11.2011

An aggressive negotiator he is not

Obama increases pressure on Republicans on debt | Reuters

"It's not going to get easier; it's gonna to get harder.

So we might as well do it now, pull off the Band-Aid, eat our peas. ... I'm prepared to take on significant heat from my party to get something done.

I'm having a hard time getting an accurate read on this. Some reports from credible sources suggest this tidbit (it's not going to get easier...might as well do it now) was directly connected to a comment about Social Security and Medicare (which Obama acknowledges have nothing to do with the deficit negotiation but "as long as we're taking tough votes..."); some don't. Because it happened during the Q&A near the end of a very long (about 1.5 hours, I think) press conference there is no official transcript available yet. Maybe later.

In the meantime, if he thinks he's going to scare me with peas he can just think again. Broccoli, maybe, but not peas. Although it's true that when my son was much, much smaller than he is today he told me one morning he'd had a terrible nightmare during the night. About what, I asked. Twinkies stuffed with mashed green peas, he said. 

And that was scary.

No comments: