1.11.2011

False alarm

My personal rule is, when it gets down to 10º it's time to bundle up. So when the widget said 9º a little while ago, I did. Bundle up. Trouble is, in the time it took me to do that the temp zoomed to 15º so now I'm overdressed. I think I'll just live with it.

Today (1/11/11, by the way) is the first of the "dead of winter" - what Accuweather says is historically the coldest month of the year, January 10 to February 10. Nothing about snow there, but we have a pile of it forecast for tomorrow. I don't have to work tomorrow so my plan for when I get home today is to put on a pair of really, really warm socks, make a big pot of soup, and read a book. Until Thursday or so.

The book will be Matt Taibbi's Griftopia. I started it last night because I decided I'd rather obsess about the economy than about State Department leaks or massacres in Arizona and so far it's a terrific read. It will be on the book list before too long, no doubt. Meanwhile the most recent book on the list (and the first this year) is Sinclair Lewis's 1921 satiric novel about small town life in the Midwest, Main Street. Main Street is a book I read and admired half a century ago and it turns out to be one of the books that's aged extremely well. Great long chunks of it could have been written yesterday. If you've never read it, now's the time - and it's free from the Gutenberg project.

No comments: