12.27.2010

Spare us the purple prose, please

Huge Blizzard Snarls Travel and Transit in the Northeast - NYTimes.com

Through the afternoon, the storm grew into an adventure. The snow came down in great sweeping curtains, drifting over parked cars and park benches to be sculpted into aerodynamic shapes.

Everywhere, the winds whispered and moaned in their secret Ice Age language....

Right. That would be in Manhattan. Here, not so much, although it did eventually snow and - I'm just peering through my frost-etched windowpane (sorry, reading too much NYTimes) - there looks to be maybe four inches on the ground. It looks like light snow (yes, I will go inspect it more closely in time but I'm still working on my emergency cup of coffee so it will be a while before I get outside) and it's blowing pretty hard, so probably it is drifting some, somewhere.

The bad news about snow cover is that it's, well, cover, of course, but the streets are plowed, the kiddies don't have to go to school (at least one teacher I know will be grumpy because she's not getting a snow day out of this), and all in all it doesn't look like much to get excited about, here.

 

No comments: