5.13.2010

I don't care how hard it is

Engineers will have to make sure the 6-inch-wide tube is inserted deep enough into the 21-inch-wide pipe so gas and seawater don't mix, which can form crystals that could clog the tube. They'll also have to thread the tube into the pipe without hitting debris around the riser.

link: BP's next try to stem oil gusher: Smaller tube - Yahoo! News

I worked with engineers more than once in a previous century on describing achievements they had made in various fields, and it turns out the first thing they want to tell you when they're telling you how they did something is how hard it was. Almost every engineering paper I've ever read (and sure, there are a lot I haven't, but almost every one I have) starts out: This was really, really hard because....


No comments: