6.23.2009

Ah. Well then...

It's never been easier to organize all the details of your busy life...

link: Bento For iPhone | FileMaker

...that pretty much explains that.

Bento is...well, let's let them explain it..."the wildly popular personal database from FileMaker"...right. A database. Wildly popular or not. For Macs. And it is pretty. And shiny! And not all that expensive, either. So it's tempting to play around with it a little.

But you know, I've just never been a database guy. Oh, I know how to use them - I had a class in Access for about eight years and I've used others as well. And I understand how they are useful in a business or even in your personal affairs if you have, say, more than a few thousand Christmas cards to get out every year.

But please. I don't have a busy life. I used to, relatively speaking, but I didn't need a database even then. I handful of sticky notes did the trick. And anyway, even if my life did get busy, I have a freakin' computer. And I know how to use it. I can use it to keep track of things. So why would I need a database anyway?

Seriously. On the Bento web site there's a sample template for a shopping list that lets the user categorize "bread" under "grocery store" rather than "hardware store." Dude. Gimme a break. Who really needs to do that?

If I go to the hardware store and they're out of bread, I'll just get a box of muffins. How easy is that?


No comments: