1.15.2009

Chills, no spills

It was cold today (9º as we speak). And my car ate a tire. The good news is, no harm done. I'd been feeling a wobble in the front end for about a week, figured the wheels were out of alignment. I kept watching the driver's side front tire for uneven wear but none was apparent so I kept my fingers crossed and figured on taking it in for a check next week, when I don't really need it to get to work. But around noon, on a whim, I checked the other front tire and - woohoo! - a big chunk of tread was missing, right down to the steel. Fortunately I was only about two blocks from work so I drove it there, but by the time I got it parked the tire was noticeably low. After work, it was flat.


I was afraid to try driving home on the donut because I still thought it was something wrong with the car that was chewing up the tire, so I had it towed. Thanks to AAA, the damage for that wasn't bad. The early diagnosis is, maybe nothing wrong with the car at all, just a tire failure. I hit a horrendous pothole last summer which, now that I think of it, could easily have caused tire damage.


Anyway, I didn't wind up wrapped around a tree and I could use new tires anyway. I was thinking about replacing them before too long. So just a little earlier, is all.


That little car might still be running for a while.



No comments: