7.29.2007

Came in late, huh, Boyd?

“The airline sells the ticket, and the airline is responsible for at least treating the passenger with some dignity,” Boyd said.
OK, look. Maybe I'm not the one to talk. I haven't flown anywhere in a dozen years or more - right, since long before 9/11, for financial, not terrifilicous reasons - so maybe I just don't know. But before I quit flying I'd logged a whole lot of hours in the air.

So I read this ABC story (see below) about Northwest flights being canceled because pilots are refusing to work more than the 90 hours per month their contracts specify and I remembered a day back near the dawn of time - oh, 1968 or so - when I was waiting around in the New Orleans airport for a flight home. I lived in Atlanta back then and Atlanta was weathered in - fog, thunderstorms, something, I don't remember what - and nothing from New Orleans or anywhere else was getting in. There we all sat.

And then a pilot from some minor airline - I don't remember which - strolled casually through the waiting room, bag in hand, and announced, “I'll go to Atlanta if I can get a full plane.”

Not a single soul stood up.

Yeah, the airlines don't seem to care about your “dignity” (here, have some peanuts and shut up). But then, what's a little indignity if the alternative might be landing in a tree?

Link: Pilot No-Shows Ground 200 N'west Flights

No comments: