12.14.2006

A woman in a pink dress, and other foggy observations.

It was foggy this morning, more or less seriously foggy and I was focussed on seeing what was on the road ahead of me, which was probably the reason she took me by surprise the way she did. As I was coming up over a shallow rise approaching a stop light, one of the only stop lights in town, the light turned red and I began coasting to a stop, relieved for a moment from having to worry about what was just in front of me. And that's when I noticed her, standing on the corner. A woman in a pink dress. On a sunny day it might have been a little startling, seeing her there like that: it was a chilly morning, 32 or 34 degrees, and the light dress would have seemed out of place. But in the fog, with the whole world muted pale, she looked like she belonged. She walked across the street and was gone. I hope she had a pleasant day.

This evening it was foggy again and I got lost trying to find an Inn in a little town nearby, where there was an office party in progress, and then, having found it, got lost again coming home. The nice thing about getting lost in Massachusetts is if you just keep driving in about 15 minutes you will be either back where you started or someplace else, and in either case you won't be lost any more. Where I live you can drive the entire width of the state, from north to south, in about an hour on the Interstate. So no matter how lost you get you're almost home. Getting lost like that in central Illinois, you could drive the rest of the night and still be in the same field of corn.

Of course there was the time my sister took a wrong turn in Boston and would up in Rhode Island, but that's another story for another day.

No comments: