11.11.2010

Who knew?

I decided to walk over to the coffee shop this morning about 10:00 and found myself arriving on Federal Street just in time for the Veterans' Day parade. Who knew? Certainly not I.

It wasn't much of a parade as parades go - a color guard, a couple of squads of geezers, and the high school band - but I was able to walk the five or six blocks to the coffee shop right along with the band, which was better than an iPod. Seriously. They're good. OK, they stuck to Sousa pretty much, but still.

In other news, I found a movie that scores 100% on the Tomatometer. It's the 1939 film, Ninotchka, which stars Greta Garbo, Melvyn Douglas, Ina Claire, and Bela Lugosi. It only scores an audience rating of 89%, but that's just what happens with crowd-sourced reviews. The more reviewers you have (in this case 1777) the closer you get to dead - and I do mean dead - center.

Ninotchka was adapted for the stage (by George S. Kaufman) and later (in 1957) for the screen as the musical, Silk Stockings. The movie version of the musical featured Cyd Charrise, Fred Astaire, Janis Paige, Peter Lorre, and a Cole Porter score.

No comments: